There’s a lot more to most websites than meets the eye these days, and I thought an interesting Python project to take on at the start of my Christmas break would be to uncover the extra requests hidden below the surface with some help from tcpdump.
After I managed to pull data from Twitter’s API using Python, I got thinking about what my next step would be. Then it hit me – I could draw data from external sources and find a nice extension to visualise it in some pretty graphs. Plotly is that extension.
If you hadn’t already heard, I’ve been experimenting with some Python recently, trying to build on the foundation that I picked up at the SANS Cyber Retraining Academy. While I’d already had some success playing around with isolated little scripts, I decided it was time to start pulling data from external sources – starting with Twitter.
A lot has happened since April. In case you haven’t noticed, I haven’t blogged about it, so I wanted to give an update. Also, I was tired of seeing Rick and Morty at the top of my website and needed to publish something new to push that down the homepage a bit.