After I managed to pull data from Twitter’s API using Python, I got thinking about what my next step would be. Then it hit me – I could draw data from external sources and find a nice extension to visualise it in some pretty graphs. Plotly is that extension.
I was aware of the recent stories – an increasing number of people claiming that Facebook’s apps were listening in on their conversations and serving up ads based on what they’d heard – but I’d always thought this assumption was based on ignorance of how online advertising works, and when Facebook denied the claims I thought that was that.
If you hadn’t already heard, I’ve been experimenting with some Python recently, trying to build on the foundation that I picked up at the SANS Cyber Retraining Academy. While I’d already had some success playing around with isolated little scripts, I decided it was time to start pulling data from external sources – starting with Twitter.
I won’t just remember 2017 as the year I made the jump into the cyber security industry – I’ll also remember it as the year I properly welcomed podcasts into my life.
A lot has happened since April. In case you haven’t noticed, I haven’t blogged about it, so I wanted to give an update. Also, I was tired of seeing Rick and Morty at the top of my website and needed to publish something new to push that down the homepage a bit.